Policy Document on disabled-friendly, barrier free environment
India has around 80 million people with disability, which may be age related, accident related or due to some medical conditions. According to the Word Bank, one in every 12 households in India has a person living with disability. The Indian policy-makers are aware of the issue and Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016, tried to address some of the concerns faced by differently-abled persons in India.
The Institution has disabled-friendly, barrier free environment
The right to Education focuses on the need to have inclusive education, which means that educating students with learning difficulties and identified disabilities have the right to fulfillment of their educational needs. Arihant College of Arts, Commerce & Science, Bavdhan bk, Pune-21 provides equal opportunities to all students in congruence with the guidelines given by the University. This was done specifically to create an environment of acceptance and nurturance.
- To ensure that students with disabilities get equal opportunities to explore their educational potentials.
- To provide a nurturing and motivating environment for students with learning disabilities to accommodate their pedagogic needs.
- To eradicate any kind of stigmatization and segregation so that they can become confident individuals.
The students are provided the concessions which are appended below and are case specific.
- Extra time for completing assignments and projects, as well as journal submissions.
- Slight modifications in assignments
- Provision of audio recording the lectures of the teacher with due permission from the concerned subject teacher.
- Extra help inside and outside the class for related queries.
- Notes provided by peer (any one identified responsible peer)
- Pairing students with more able students in the class
- Extra time of 20 minutes for unit test of 1 hour duration and 40 minutes for a 2 hour exam.
- Provision of writers, if requested.
- Provide counseling to differently abled students on the types of courses they could study at the higher education institutions
- Disseminate information regarding orders dealing with fee concessions, examination procedures, reservation, policies, etc., pertaining to differently abled persons.
Types of facilities
- Ramp facility
- Lift facility
- Physical facility (wheelchair)
- Human assistance